100% natural and truly ecologically farmed sea sponges.
The 100% natural Sustainable Sponges are grown on organic farms in Pohnpei, Micronesia by local farmers. Sea sponge farming does not deplete wild sponge populations or damage coral reefs. No harsh chemicals are used in farming or in their processing.
A luxurious 10 - 12 cm sponge that is as soft as lamb's wool when wet and lathers beautifully with liquid or bar soap. Please note the sponge is not packaged up in a silk bag.
The sponges can be used for:
- As a luxurious, sensual bath sponge
- As a gentle, soft sponge for bathing babies
- As a delicate cosmetic sponge for applying and removing make-up
- As an eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning sponge
- As a paint applicator for art and craft projects
Why should we buy a Sustainable Sponge?
- They are sustainably grown rather than harvested from wild populations
- Cuttings are left to grow for around 2 years before harvesting
- No chemicals are used in the farming process
- Contain no toxic chemicals
- Are cleaned without using any harsh chemicals
- Are not bleached yellow but are left in their natural colour
- Will last much longer than bleached sponges
- By purchasing a Sustainable Sponge you are supporting local communities by promoting sustainable livelihoods and contributing to protecting the environment
- Those sponges are from a Trade Aid supplier
- Have natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that prevent the growth of bacteria, mould, and mildew in the sponge without requiring any chemicals
- Are a biodegradable, renewable resource
- Are very durable and can be used again and again with good care
How to care for your sponge:
Simply rinse your sponge in fresh water, squeeze, and leave to air dry. From time to time a deeper cleaning by soaking in 2C water with 1T baking soda for 1 hour will enhance the life of your sponge.